Dois no Choros Juntos
Julie Koidin and Paulinho Garcias second
disc features Altamiro Carrilho and
Maria Teresa Madeira.
Daniella Thompson13 February 2002
Flutist Julie Koidin and guitarist/vocalist Paulinho Garcia, who in 2000 gave us the delightful Carinhoso, have struck again with a lovely new disc.
Like its predecessor, Juntos offers a diverse program of choro and MPB, augmented with the occasional hispanic tune. The news here is that Garcia contributes six compositions to the repertoire. Moreover, the duo is joined by illustrious guest artists Altamiro Carrilho (Julies teacher) and pianist Maria Teresa Madeira (who performed with Julie on several occasions), each appearing in two tracks.
The disc opens with a vocal version of Ernesto Nazareths Apanhei-te, Cavaquinho, in which Paulinho sings his own lyrics in a pleasant voice, embellishing the vocals with a scat worthy of João Bosco. Altamiro and Julie take turns on the flute, their dialog culminating in counterpoint. Altamiro also does the honors in Paulinhos Chorinho pra Nós, again conversing with Julies flute, accompanied by the composers bossa-nova guitar and vocalese.
Maria Teresa Madeira appears in Paulinhos other exuberant choro, Chorinho do Paulinho, in which the composer vocalizes against Julies flute. The pianist returns in Piazzollas Adios Nonino, also arranged for solo flute (Julie), cello (Emily Lewis Mantell), and guitar (Paulinho).
The vocal tracks predominate in this album, showcasing Paulinho as a versatile interpreter. His voice most often recalling Caetano Velosos, he handles with sensitivity such diverse tunes as Inútil Paisagem; Aruanda (vocalese in dialog with Julies flute); Atahualpa Yupanquis Luna Tucumana; E Quando; Bachianas Brasileiras #5; the bolero Ponto de Encontro; Bicycle Ride (vocalese); Do You Remember Me?; and Cintura Fina.
Its the turn of Julies flute to sing in The Face I Love, where shes joined by Mantells beautiful cello, and in Bicycle Ride, where her mellifluous tones flow around the guitar and the singers voice.
Juntos and Carinhoso are available through Paulinho Garcias website and at Modern Sound in Rio de Janeiro.
Dois no Choro: Juntos
(Jazzmin Records; 2001) 53:17 min.
01. Apanhei-te, Cavaquinho (Ernesto Nazareth/lyrics: Paulinho Garcia)
02. Adios Nonino (Astor Piazzolla)
03. Inútil Paisagem (Antonio Carlos Jobim/Aloysio de Oliveira)
04. Aruanda (Geraldo Vandré)
05. Vals del Olvido (Marcos Granados)
06. Luna Tucumana (Héctor Roberto Chavero)
07. Chorinho do Paulinho (Paulinho Garcia)
08. E Quando... (Paulinho Garcia)
09. Bachianas Brasileiras #5 (Heitor Villa-Lobos)
10. Ponto de Encontro (Paulinho Garcia)
11. Chorinho pra Nós (Paulinho Garcia)
12. The Face I Love (Marcos Valle/Paulo Cesar Vall
13. Bicycle Ride (Toninho Horta)
14. Cintura Fina (Paulinho Garcia)
15. Do You Remember Me? (Paulinho Garcia)
Copyright © 20022008 Daniella Thompson. All rights reserved.